NetWare DS.NLM 4.89c , DSRepair.NLM 4.31
NOVELL TECHNICAL INFORMATION DOCUMENT
Please select if this document solved your problem.
DOCUMENT ID: 1203850
DOCUMENT REVISION: 2
ALERT STATUS: Yellow
INFORMATION TYPE: Issue
41nds5.exe; 727981 bytes; Date/Time: 02-29-96/1:04p
NOVELL PRODUCT CLASS:
NOVELL PRODUCT and VERSION:
This update contains version 4.89c of DS.NLM and version 4.32 of
DSREPAIR.NLM for NetWare version 4.10. If upgrading 4.0x
servers to 4.10 YOU MUST read and follow instructions to
ensure a smooth upgrade. If upgrading from NetWare version 3.1x,
you still will benefit by applying the new DS.NLM prior to
upgrading. This file may be updated occasionally as new versions
of DS.NLM are released. As new DS.NLM 's are released the naming
format will be 41NDSx, where x denotes the revision of the patch
THE ORIGIN OF THIS INFORMATION MAY BE INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL TO NOVELL. NOVELL MAKES EVERY EFFORT WITHIN ITS MEANS TO VERIFY THIS INFORMATION. HOWEVER, THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY. NOVELL MAKES NO EXPLICIT OR IMPLIED CLAIMS TO THE VALIDITY OF THIS INFORMATION.
Servers running NetWare version 4.10 should be running the
latest DS.NLM, currently at version 4.89c.
DSRepair version 4.32 should be used on all NetWare version 4.1
servers and supercedes any previous versions.
Mixed versions of Netware 4.10 Directory Services (DS.NLM)
interoperate completely, but it is best to upgrade all Netware
4.10 servers to the same version to insure consistency and easier
**** DS.NLM ****
- "Abend: Page Fault Processor Exception" - DS abending on an
error path that left a pointer uninitialized in DSAChangePassword
when calling AuditDSEntry this uninitialized pointer gets used.
- Fixed the Schema Skulker so it would send definitions that
wound up being larger than 4096 bytes on the wire.
**** DSRepair.NLM ****
- Added support for ds 489 to run remote id table repair.
- Display the number of objects and values for each replica.
- Delete duplicate sync up to for the same replica number.
- Fixes schema sync up to and purge attribute.
-Fix trustee check on deleted files and objects.
-Added new function in advanced options to check for volume and
volume object repair with trustee check. Also make sure volume
object is of object class volume.
- Repair network addresses now fixes ipx address in replica
- Network address property is deleted if it isgreater than 60
- Synchronization status report would print warning for not
having skulked in the past 12 hours even though it had.
- Fixed security equivalence/equivalent to me synchronization.
- Changed view/edit log file so that it cannot be edited.This is
because if the file is edited, you cannot exit dsrepair if
unloaded from the command line.
- Added security login to Replica Ring Editor.
- Unattended full repair would hang after pressing alt-f10 to
- Report synchronization status field 'all servers synchronized
up to time' message for replica synchronization status would
always dispay 'warning' becauseit thought that the time was >
12 hours old.
- 'Destroy replica' was changed to change the partition root to
an external reference if it is not required.
- Trustee check ends the search when a trustee with the value of
zero is found, otherwise unused trustee entries are checked for
- New algorithym for schema sync-up-to repair which reads the
replica ring of a root relica to determine if'schema replica
numbers' are active or inactive.
- Also fix up updating of schema repairs.
- Only delete the network-address property on user class objects.
- Report total number of ext-refs, and number of extrefs not
- New option to view the log file before saving the dib.
- Changed minimum time to save the '.OLD' copy of the dib from 72
hours to 70 hours.
- Check host resource name for the valid volume name when
checking trustees on a volume.
- Optional class definition was being purged as an illegal
operational class because the temporary rulesbuffer had not been
copied. Also illegal id's in the optional rules were not being
- Removed error messages for 'illegalcreation/modification time'
because the new creation/modification in the future time report
covers these errors.
- Don't report that the file is read-only if it can not be opened
for read-only operation since edit does not allow writes anymore.
- Added a new global schema menu item to declare a new epoch for
- Added '/n #days' command line switch allows specification of
the number of days old a user object net-address property can be
before it is deleted.
- New feature to check the base class of an alias to see that it
matches the aliased object which it refers to. If not, the class
of the alias is updated.
- Repair replica now checks the subref flag and clears it if it
is not required to be set.
- Fixed various spelling and punctuation in help messages.
- Report old version of DS was found when performing remote
synchronzation instead of error 683.
- Fix TTS abend due to improperly maintained status flag.
Self-Extracting File Name: 41NDS5.EXE
Files Included Size Date Time Version Checksum
DS.NLM 366883 10-12-95 10:31a
UPGRADE.TXT 24749 01-31-96 3:26p
41NDS5.TXT 9337 02-29-96 1:04p
DSMAINT.NLM 62915 02-29-96 9:08a
DSMAINT.TXT 10817 02-29-96 12:09p
DSREPAIR.NLM 163819 02-29-96 8:58a
README.TXT 45779 02-29-96 12:55p
DSREPAIR.NLM 84703 03-07-95 3:19p
REPAIR.DOC 35357 01-03-96 7:07a
For NetWare 4.10 servers:
** NOTE ** Always make a backup copy of original files.
1. Log into the network as ADMIN or a user with rights to the
SYS:SYSTEM of the file server. Locate the files
SYS:\SYSTEM\DS.NLM and SYS:\SYSTEM\DSREPAIR.NLM. (Files may be
flagged Sharable Read-Only). Rename existing files with .OLD
2. Copy the files provided in this update to the SYS:SYSTEM
directory of the NetWare 4.1 file server.
3. At the file server console of the server being upgraded (or
using RCONSOLE) toggle to the system console screen.
4. At the system console screen enter the command "SET DSTRACE =
*." and press <Enter> to reload the Directory Services
(DS.NLM 4.89c) without downing the server.
5. To confirm that the DS.NLM 4.89c is loaded, at the system
console screen type MODULES. Scroll through the modules screens
and find DS.NLM. The following information should appear:
NetWare 4.1 Directory Services (PTF 951012)
Version 4.89c November 1, 1995
Copyright 1993-1995 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.
6. Repeat the process for each 4.10 server in the network which
may be running the older versions.
If installing from a staging server:
Copy the new DS.NLM to the NW410/SYSTEM/PREINST subdirectory.
Copy the new DSREPAIR.NLM to the NW410/SYSTEM subdirectory.
For Upgrading NetWare 4.0x servers:
PLEASE REFER TO 4X241.EXE for proper upgrade procedures.
1. Copy the new DS.NLM into the existing SYS:SYSTEM subdirectory
on the 4.0x server. Because DS is linked into SERVER.EXE in
NetWare 4.0x, the new DS.NLM will not effect operation on NetWare
2. When upgrading a 4.0x server to NetWare 4.10, the install
program runs the "Preliminary file copy". At this time the
DS.NLM contained on the cd-rom would normally be copied to the
file server. Install will detect a newer version already present
and will display the file name and ask "over write newer
version?" Answer "NO" and continue with the installation.
3. Copy the DSRepair.NLM 4.31 to the 4.0x server ONLY AFTER the
NetWare 4.0x server is upgraded to NetWare 4.1.
For Upgrading NetWare 3.1x servers:
1. Copy the new DS.NLM and DSRepair.NLM into the existing
SYS:SYSTEM subdirectory on the 3.1x server.
2. When the NetWare 4.10 install program runs the "Preliminary
file copy" the DS.NLM and DSRepair.NLM contained on the cd-rom
would normally be copied to the file server. Install will detect
a newer version is already present it will display the file name
and ask "over write newer version?" Answer "NO" and continue
with the installation.
3. When DS.NLM loads and executes it will be the new version.
Please select if this document solved your problem.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of
their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for
complete trademark information.